Monday, February 27, 2012

Iron Man Covers Project #1

I loved to draw as a kid. Sometime in the mid-’70s I sat down and drew an illustrated four-page “book” depicting the lyrics to “Jingle Bells, Batman Smells”. (Man, I wish I still had that!) Around second or third grade my mom sent me to art classes at the Canton Museum of Art. Now, however, I recognize that the confidence and any ability I might have had as a kid is long gone. But I saw Bean’s FF Cover Project and thought he was on to a really great idea. So I cribbed it. Wholesale.

I’m working my way through the Iron Man covers one at a time, and I’m going to see where it leads me. I have no designs on any sort of long-term art-related job. I’m not looking to draw comics or anything like that. I just want to see if I can get better at something I used to love doing and haven’t done in a very long time. Sort of exercise a different set of creative muscles than those I use when writing.

Taking my cues from Bean and the self-imposed, warts-an
d-all approach he came up with, I’m working in a 5 ½” by 8 ½” lined notebook with black ink and colored pencils, no real artistic talent, and a love of comic cover recreations

No comments: