Sunday, April 6, 2008

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Not My) Fault

Although I've seen many of the movies based on Stephen King's work (Stand By Me, The Shining, and The Shawshank Redemption being three of the best), I'm not a fan of his novels. Nor am I a fan of Entertainment Weekly, but my wife subscribes. If I see the magazine lying around the house, I will often flip to just inside the back cover to read King's column -- "The Pop of King". King's sharp eye and clever insight as a cultural observer are on full display in past treatises on J.K. Rowling and Amazon's Kindle. In this week's column, he sets his sights on the phenomenon of "politicians as surrogate parents" that dates back to Tipper Gore and the PMRC to my child-of-the-'80s eye, and certainly beyond. As expected, King's take is chock-full of common sense.

No comments: