Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Lost but not Forgotten, from the Dark Heart of a Dream

Generally speaking, I don't read a lot of fiction. I find non-fiction just so much more entertaining most of the time, but I do burn through a handful of novels each year. And back in 2006, I picked up The Book of Fate from the library. I didn't know who Brad Meltzer was at the time, but I had heard something about the book online and ended up devouring it. I even wrote down a quote from the book I really liked to remember and keep on hand ("'Haven't you ever played Uno?' he asks calmly. 'Sometimes you have to lose all your cards to win.'")

In the past couple of years, I've come to know who Meltzer is and understand the orbit he moves in. And I am excited to read Meltzer's new book, The Book of Lies. I mean, how many novels explore the most famous murder of all time, the mystery behind the never-identified weapon, and the genesis of the Man of Steel? Not to meniton the book's trailer boasts both Joss Whedon and Brian K. Vaughan. The book even has a companion soundtrack that includes R.E.M. And although it should also include Springsteen's "Adam Raised a Cain", that's still good stuff!

The first chapter is up on his site. That'll have to tide me over for the next few weeks until the book is released.

No comments: