Monday, August 25, 2008

Finding Nimoy

I stumble on book recommendations all over the place. Sometimes from friends, sometimes on CNN.com, sometimes from the local library, and sometimes just random surfing unearths something to pursue. I don't remember exactly where I heard about Adam Nimoy's new book, but I think I read about it in my wife's copy of Entertainment Weekly. And for the last week I have been riveted by My Incredibly Wonderful, Miserable Life: An Anti-Memoir in spite of myself.

Nimoy's book is a collection of essays that form a loose narrative on the end of his marriage as a result of the fog from 30 years of alcohol and marijuana abuse being lifted, his struggles as he returns to being a bachelor amid AA meetings, his relationship with his kids, and, yes, even a few words and photos about his famous father. The readability of this book is so unlikely, yet I can't seem to put the book down.

I think that above all it's Nimoy's bond with his kids that's keeping me in this thing. Nimoy is explicit in characterizing the emotional strain splitting from his wife has been on his entire family. The guilt-wracked resolution to stand his ground and do what he knows is right (literally) in the face of his children pleading for him to get back together with their mom. The obvious love he shares with his kids that is completely reciprocated despite their angry flare-ups at him over the situation. I guess I recognize a lot of the same sensitivity and emotional honesty in my relationship with my kiddo. And I know there will be tough conversations with him down the road, but I hope our relationship will always be strong and continue to grow.

My Incredibly Wonderful, Miserable Life is a surprisingly good read. And the photographs littered throughout the text -- some vintage, some recent -- are just fantastic! I still don't think this book is necessarily something I should be enjoying, but I am. Even though I am not a divorced, addiction recovering, entertainment career changing, father of two with a famous dad, sometimes you just have to roll with it.

No comments: